The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) is a nonprofit, global facility dedicated to advancing human well being, environmental conservation and equity. We conduct research that enables more informed and equitable decision making about the use and management of forests in less-developed countries.
Our research and expert analysis help policy makers and practitioners shape effective policy, improve the management of tropical forests and address the needs and perspectives of people who depend on forests for their livelihoods. Our multidisciplinary approach considers the underlying drivers of deforestation and degradation which often lie outside the forestry sector: forces such as agriculture, infrastructure development, trade and investment policies and law enforcement.
We envision a world where:
* forests are high on the political agenda
* people recognize the value of forests for maintaining livelihoods and ecosystems
* decisions that influence forests and the people that depend on them are based on solid science and principles of good governance, and reflect the perspectives of developing countries and forest-dependent people.
• Lead implementation of media and outreach strategies to build CIFOR’s reputation and maximize the policy and development impact of its research;
• Coordinate implementation of the communication component of the CGIAR Research Programme on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry, liaising closely with communication focal points at research partners, including the World Agroforestry Center, Bioversity International and the International Center for Tropical Agriculture;
• Act as the main focal point for CIFOR’s media relations, including fostering closer ties with key journalists worldwide and pitching story ideas;
• Draft and edit press releases, talking points, op-eds, blog stories, multimedia packages and corporate communication documents;
• Oversee social media activities, especially related to CIFOR’s Forest News blog (www.blog.cifor.org), a virtual news service on forestry issues. Provide guidance to CIFOR’s Blog Editor and Social Media Coordinator.
• Coordinate outreach activities in Latin America, Africa and Asia, including overseeing the tasks of Regional Communication Officers on these three continents;
• Coordinate all communication activities related to conferences and workshops, including drafting event outreach strategies and taking the lead in implementation of key top-tier international conferences. This includes managing a two-person event logistics team;
• Manage day-to-day activities of CIFOR’s Communication Officer for the Global Comparative Study on REDD+.
Terms and conditions
This is an internationally recruited position. CIFOR offers attractive and internationally competitive compensation and benefits, commensurate with skills and experience.
The initial contract will be for 2 years with the possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of this position, and available resources. The position will be based in Bogor, Indonesia.
The application deadline is 10 December 2012.
We will acknowledge all applications, however, we will contact only short-listed candidates. Please send your letter of interest and CV, including contact information for three referees.
Education, experience, technical skills and competencies:
Masters degree in communications or a related discipline.
Have at least seven years of professional work experience in media/communications, preferably internationally. Have a strong understanding of how media works.
Be a strong and fast writer and editor with a flair for turning complex research findings into accessible content.
Have a proven strong understanding of social media.
Experience in planning, implementing and evaluating complex communication programmes.
Experience in working for a research facility or within the development sector is an advantage.
Fluency in English essential and other languages preferable.