All applications to WCS, Mozambique for this position advertised on idealist.org are being managed by ngojobsonline.com. To apply for this job, click on the green button below. If you are already registered as a Jobseeker, please log-in in order to apply for the position.
Reserve Manager for Niassa Reserve, WCS, Mozambique, Mozambique
WCS is seeking an experienced protected area manager to fill the role of Reserve Manager working alongside the Government of Mozambique Reserve Warden. The Reserve Warden and Reserve Manager are jointly responsible to oversee all management operations and activities within the Reserve. They are responsible to an Oversight Committee composed of the WCS Country Director and the National Director of Conservation Areas in Mozambique. The Reserve Manager will also be responsible to WCS as their Niassa Reserve Project Director.
Reserve Manager for Niassa Reserve
WCS, Mozambique, Maputo, Mozambique
The Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) is a US based international conservation NGO with programs and projects in more than 70 countries worldwide. In Mozambique WCS has recently (October 2012) entered into a co-management agreement with the Ministry of Tourism for Niassa National Reserve. This is our first project in Mozambique and we are currently establishing a country office in Maputo.
Niassa Reserve is 42,300km2 and is situated on the northern border of Mozambique with Tanzania. The Reserve is divided into 17 blocks, nine of which are concessioned out to hunting operators and six are available for photographic tourism (three are occupied). The Reserve is facing an ivory poaching crisis with 2-3 of its 12,000 elephant being poached daily. It has a burgeoning human population of approximately 40,000 residents who are largely dependent on the local environment for their livelihoods.
NGO management | services to NGO | environment | nature conservation | science | protected areas | national parks | forestry management | science | research | conservation | fundraising | marketing | public relations | proposals | programme monitoring & evaluation
Southern Africa | Mozambique
- Ten to fifteen years conservation experience, with a significant amount of African experience in at least two African countries
- Hands-on management of a remote and large protected area in Africa
- Developing, improving and overseeing protected area management systems, including HR, finance, infrastructure and workshop maintenance, and law enforcement
Experience preferred (some needed):
- Managing a protected area support project in close partnership with government agencies
- Hands-on management of law enforcement operations, ideally with military experience
- Implementing a community or natural resource management project
- Working with tourism operators
- Developing infrastructure within a remote protected area
- Portuguese and/or Swahili
- Planning and reporting
Please send a copy of your CV and a cover letter explaining how your experience will contribute to addressing the threats to Niassa Reserve, and how it will allow you to help put in place long-term systems for the conservation and management of the Reserve.
English | Portuguese
started on 22 Nov 2012 | ending on 22 Dec 2012
Subscribe to our Weekly job feed
Receive the latest job listings & information on individual NGOs